Ugh: Mavericks 102 – Bucks 76

| January 13, 2012

Category: Recaps

Milwaukee Bucks 76 Final

Recap | Box Score

102 Dallas Mavericks
Stephen Jackson, SG 29 MIN | 3-8 FG | 0-0 FT | 5 REB | 2 AST | 7 PTS | -17

He was bound to come back down to earth. Actually, that’s not the right wording. He plummeted back to earth. His monumental efforts the last two games left him withered for this game. Expect this inconsistent play a lot with the compressed schedule.

Jon Leuer, F 13 MIN | 1-3 FG | 0-0 FT | 2 REB | 0 AST | 2 PTS | -7

Had a great conversation with Tim Severson (@TheWagofMutombo) on twitter. The way Skiles yo-yos minutes certainly creates an atmosphere of uncertainty for all the role players. How is anyone supposed to establish a rhythm when they play 30 minutes one night, then 13 the next? And how is this going to affect the development of Leuer and Harris?

Drew Gooden, PF 23 MIN | 4-9 FG | 0-0 FT | 3 REB | 2 AST | 8 PTS | -8

The difference between the Bucks playing well without Bogut 2 years ago and them playing poorly since is that Gooden can’t emulate the reasonably good defense that Kurt Thomas provided in Bogut’s absence. Starting Leuer and Gooden was just an open invitation for Vince Carter to waddle his way through the paint early in the game.

Brandon Jennings, PG 26 MIN | 7-12 FG | 2-2 FT | 4 REB | 1 AST | 19 PTS | -11

One of only two Bucks to shoot over 50 percent tonight. But there’s still not much he can do when none of the other starters are attacking the rim or shooting well.

Shaun Livingston, PG 33 MIN | 6-8 FG | 3-4 FT | 0 REB | 1 AST | 15 PTS | -16

The only other Buck who shot over 50 percent tonight. I said earlier on twitter that Leuer and Harris had the best post moves on the team. Steven Von Horn of BrewHoop disagreed and mentioned Livingston. That proved to be true today. Livingston has been touted as a creator and he has played point guard while Beno Udrih was out, but that is a lie. His game has changed to be a scorer with above average vision. Nothing more, nothing less.

Tobias Harris, F 17 MIN | 1-6 FG | 4-4 FT | 4 REB | 1 AST | 6 PTS | -18

He looked like a rookie today and there’s nothing wrong with that. We’ve covered his post game and his aggressive attacking of the basket earlier today, but the one place he needs to pick-up his offensive game is his shooting which has been lacking early in his career.

Andrew Bogut, C DNP CONCUSSION LIKE SYMPTOMS MIN | FG | FT | REB | AST | PTS |

The Bucks are winless on the road. They are also winless without Bogut. All Bogutless games have been on the road. I’ll leave it up to you as to which is the bigger issue.

Tags: , , , , ,

Ian Segovia has been watching the Milwaukee Bucks for several years and has been writing for about as long. Those are all his qualifications.

1. treego14 says:

How does one get a ‘C’ for not playing the game? lol!

Brandon Jennings gets a C-, though, for being the best player on the court for the Bucks? Wow!

Harris earned an F. He flunked tonight. He didn’t do anything well tonight … except make a few FT’s.

I thought Jackson deserved an F, also. He had as many TO’s as points, almost. Ouch!

• Teddddd says:

@treego14 i agree with you on Jennings I thought he played very well. Only rushed 1 shot that i recall and made good decisions passing the ball, 19 points in 26 minutes is definitely not something that deserves a C+ his effort was there too, it wasnt his decision not to play if it were up to him he’d probably play 48 minutes a night. Jennings has the best motor on the team, he’s always giving 100%. Jackson usually gives 100% but there are also times where he gets a little whiny when things don’t go his way.Usually he uses it to fuel himself in a positive way but in games like 2nite Jack just seemed disinterested.

I thought it was unfair to sit Brandon when he was playing very well, in fact I think it’s a bit ridiculous to just mail it in altogether like they did 2nite. I understand they want to save guys energy due to the shortened season but they are still professionals and you play to win the game. Are you really developing your young players that much by playing them for extended minutes against guys like Brian Cardinal, Brandon Wright and Yi Jianlian? Watching the lineup of Hobson, Harris, Livingston, Brockman and Sanders is just painful. I hope I never have to see it again. I’m all for sprinkling in some PT for those guys now and then, but playing extended minutes with each other, they’re not going to get any better.

No disrespect to Livingston, he is a fine player and is money with that 10 foot jumper, but with those guys on the court you have no1 who can attack and score, no1 who with a consistent jumper outside of Livingston’s 10 footer. It’s just an overall train wreck to watch and I’d rather see the team go down with a fight personally, and I know Jennings wants to play and he should have been out there, it’s a joke that he wasn’t. I’m not an NBA coach and I respect Scott Skiles but 2nite made zero sense to me

• Ian_Segovia says:

@treego14 I’m not giving anyone a good grade in a 26 pt blowout that wasn’t even that close. Also, the HTML generator we use to create these recaps won’t allow me to not give a grade, but I wanted to comment on Bogut.

Also I’m wondering why you’re so quick to give up on a 19 year old who hasn’t even played a hundred minutes in the NBA.

• treego14 says:

@Ian_Segovia@treego14 I’m not giving up on him … I’m not seeing anything from him as of yet that makes me think he’s anything but another miserable first-round pick, though.

• treego14 says:

@Ian_Segovia I consider giving a ‘C’ to someone who didn’t play at all severely wrong when you graded the best player on the court with a C-.

2. EdwardIlano says:

Jennings a C-? He deserves at least a B for this game comparing how the rest of the team did. Sure he didnt make many assists but the team shot so-so & turned the ball over too many times. Also why did leuer play only 13 mins? Makes no sense when guys like harris/hobson/sanders got 18mins for the game, did he get injured?That aside, I wish the bucks would just tank the season & win about 15-20 games to save some face. Then hope for the best in the lotto for a top 5 pick & pray they work out.

3. I give myself an A for missing this game.

4. JustinNixon says:

Darington Hobson gets an F–.. Is there any question that Bogut is team MVP? A little hard on Jennings