29 points. 25 rebounds. Most importantly, a reason for us to think something is cool again.
In an otherwise boring game, Ersan Ilyasova played the finest basketball of his career. Ersan set a new career high in points and rebounds and achieved all kinds of other cool accomplishments in doing so. Hat tip to the Milwaukee Bucks public relations staff for pumping out all kinds of great facts right after the game on Twitter. And we’ll tip that hat one more time to Michael Lee of the Washington Post for inspiring tonight’s lame photoshop.
- He is just the sixth Bucks player in the past 25 years with a 20/20 game. He joins Andrew Bogut, Terry Cummings, Vin Baker, Dan Gadzuric and Ervin Johnson. Bizarre group.
- Ersan joins Swen Nater and Kareem Abdul-Jabar as the only players in Bucks history with 29+ points and 25+ rebounds in a game.
- First NBA player with 29/25 since Kevin Love had 31 and 31.
- Ilyasova tied a Bucks record with 11 rebounds in the first quarter.
- Ersan fell just two offensive rebounds short of Milwaukee’s team record of 15, held by Nater.
He’s always been a strong rebounder. When Ilyasova was on his way back to the Bucks after spending two sesaons in Europe, it was his rebounding totals that seemed most likely to translate. But Ersan has taken his rebounding up a level this season. Ilyasova came into Sunday’s game averaging 7.9 rebounds per game and had a career best 18.4 total rebound rate. His previous highs are 6.4 rebounds per game and a 15.5 total rebound rate.