Magic Sweep Bucks Decisively Bucks 98 – Magic 114

| March 3, 2012

Category: Recaps

Milwaukee Bucks 98 Final

Recap | Box Score

114 Orlando Magic
Tobias Harris, F 21 MIN | 2-4 FG | 0-0 FT | 2 REB | 1 AST | 4 PTS | -5

He started! And for the first two minutes, he looked good around the rim with a dunk and an offensive rebound. What started as a promising night quickly turned sour as he was benched quickly in favor of Mbah a Moute.

Carlos Delfino, SF 29 MIN | 3-9 FG | 2-2 FT | 2 REB | 4 AST | 10 PTS | -9

Another game of Delfino being handily outplayed at the wing. There was one moment where the cameras showed Delfino talking to Ilyasova on the sideline. I thought to myself, “How?” That’s also my thinking on Delfino’s play dropping from “sufficient” to “awful.” What did he do during the all-star break?

Brandon Jennings, PG 32 MIN | 9-17 FG | 8-12 FT | 3 REB | 5 AST | 27 PTS | -16

Another strong outing for Jennings who wasn’t shooting very well. So what did he do? He attacked the rim and got to the free throw line. That wasn’t something Jennings did very often in his first two seasons, so it’s good to see him grow.

Mike Dunleavy, SF 30 MIN | 3-7 FG | 0-0 FT | 4 REB | 1 AST | 8 PTS | -5

Dunleavy was the engine that propelled the Bucks second quarter outburst with two threes and an assist in the second. After that, he was barely effective, missing two shots over the rest of the game.

Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, SF 24 MIN | 3-5 FG | 2-5 FT | 6 REB | 2 AST | 8 PTS | -11

Tobias Harris and Jon Leuer’s playing time has been taken by Moute for what reason? Moute didn’t exactly slow down the Magic offense. The Magic’s offensive efficiency for the game was a ridiculous 114.

Jon Brockman, F 7 MIN | 2-3 FG | 0-0 FT | 1 REB | 0 AST | 4 PTS | -3

Brockman found his niche on this team. Midway through the third quarter, Skiles had Brockman foul Dwight Howard the moment Howard crossed half court. It was mildly to not effective at all.

Jon Leuer, F 3 MIN | 0-1 FG | 0-0 FT | 0 REB | 0 AST | 0 PTS | +2

Still alive.

Larry Sanders, C 12 MIN | 4-5 FG | 0-1 FT | 1 REB | 0 AST | 8 PTS | +10

Great shooting night for Larry Sanders. That hasn’t been/won’t be said very often, so we have to take opportunities when we get them.

Tags: , , , ,

Ian Segovia has been watching the Milwaukee Bucks for several years and has been writing for about as long. Those are all his qualifications.

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Daybreak Doppler: Conference Tourney Time | PocketDoppler.com | March 5, 2012
  1. MatthewSchwendinger says:

This game just made me sick to watch by the 4th. Did any of you see Bucks Live (Postgame)? Skiles had no idea how to answer any questions (unless stuttering counts “uhhhh yeah…” “ummmm…well….”); he’s lost control of this team. In my opinion… I suppose he’s doing his best though trying to find scoring night-by-night; he’s playing the cards he’s been dealt.

The more I think about it, I think we’ll have to amnesty Jax (off topic, sorry).

• coolexplosion1 says:

@MatthewSchwendinger They won’t amnesty S-Jax since he’s an expiring contract next year and he’ll retain some value. If they amnesty anyone, it will be Gooden.

I’m kind of hoping Jeremy or another one of the gang will post an article on the Bucks playoff chances and the future, although I can see why it would make sense to wait another few days or a week until we know what the Bucks will do at the deadline. I say this because John Hollinger in his latest Per Diem basically said the Bucks have no realistic shot at the playoffs.

Jennings is playing himself out of town right now. I can’t imagine him staying long-term with this lack of direction and the willingness to be content with a number 10 draft pick every year. Hopefully we make a big move that nets good draft picks for him.

• MatthewSchwendinger says:

@coolexplosion1 i agree with what you saids about Jennings. I can’t disagree with you more though about Drew Gooden. He’s playing great! He’s had how many games with 20+ points–Why is everyone hating on him? I think since Bogut’s went down, he’s earned his $$ this year. There’s been plenty of games when Jennings quit and Gooden didn’t.

I like the idea on the ESPN trade fixes article saying that the 76ers should trade us Elton Brand for Stephen Jackson. I’d take that!

• coolexplosion1 says:

@MatthewSchwendinger In looking at the Bucks roster, he makes the most sense. While he has played great this year, I can’t imagine him keeping this up when he is 33 and has been in the league more than 12 seasons. The only other option that would be realistic is Luc Richard, and that probably won’t happen. They could decide to not use it, but if Hammond was smart, I’d pull the trigger on trading Drew while his value is high and we can get a great draft pick or young player.

I’m not sure what we would do with Brand, who has regressed to the mean this year in terms of PER. Here is the Basketball Prospectus Article (Insider) where they suggest saving the amnesty for Drew Gooden in a couple years: http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7641473/nba-trade-fixes-bulls-pistons-pacers-bucks-cavaliers

• MatthewSchwendinger says:

@coolexplosion1 Yeah but couldn’t you say the same thing about Ersan…Trade him while he’s hot? I think part of the reason he got that contract was because by the time it’s up, he’ll almost be ready to retire.

I don’t know that we should use that Amnesty move unless we have to. We only get it once until the next CBA right? That’s 10 years, that’s a long time!

I’d take Brand over Jackson right now. Brand plays.

• coolexplosion1 says:

@MatthewSchwendinger You don’t think we should trade Ersan now? I would. He’s probably a goner after the season anyway much in the way Ramon Sessions and Charlie Villanueva were. We could get something. It can only be used for contracts signed under the old CBA. I’d be fine with us amnestying someone in a year or two as long as we use it if it’s the right move.

2. burakbr says:

ersan?

3. min2g2 says:

I just don’t understand the lack of playing time for the young guys.  Harris gets the start but finds the pine quickly.  I know Skiles has to try to win games with the guys that give him the best chance to keep his job but its not doing any good for the development of this team as a whole.  This team has no direction, leadership or any capability of being positively consistent.  Its a sad state of affairs right now.

4. Teddddd says:

Milwaukee just needs to hope to the high heavens that the Nets get Dwight Howard and that they want Jack and Ersan too. Then they would get a top 8 draft pick and have better shot at winnin lottery to get top 3

5. MatthewSchwendinger says:

My REAL fear is now Seattle will start harassing Mr. Kohl. Sacramento just got a deal done to stay in town and I had heard they were gonna snatch them if they didn’t get the arena. All things considered with our team, our management (Hammond, Skiles, Wolf, Boylan, etc.), and our out-dated arena…I bet Seattle will start bugging us. There is even a Facebook group called “Bring the Bucks to Seattle.”  #worried.

• Teddddd says:

@MatthewSchwendinger ive been trippin over relocation for a few years now. Seattle is still 2nd in line to Kansas City tho since Seattle does not have an arena plan and will not make one until they have a guarentee from an NBA and NHL team. It’s double edged sword tho cuz regardless if the Bucks want a new arena they need to start winning, the city isn’t going to invest money in a losing product. Yet the Bucks aren’t going to start winning (making playoffs consistently) until they get more talent, which is going to have to come from the draft. They are stuck in the worst place u can possibly be in right now and have been for several years.

They NEED to trade Ersan away because he’s their 2nd best player, is not going to resign next year and he’s the only way the Bucks can possibly dump Jackson. If the Bucks can manage to get rid of their 2nd and 3rd best players and just run and gun the way for the rest of the season and get some inflated statistics for Jennings. Lose games to a few sub par teams and continue to lose to the teams they are supposed to lose to they have a shot at a real solid talent coming out of this draft class.

Next step is marketing they might be able to win the fans over with an exciting product, with a core of Jennings (Lottery Pick) Harris Leuer Bogut (when healthy) and Gooden, Dunleavy, Udrih coming off the bench for even more offensive firepower. Depending on Harris’ and Jennings development that could be a potentially #6 seed next season if they can stay healthy

• coolexplosion1 says:

@Teddddd  @MatthewSchwendinger I’d probably trade Bogut as well to amass young players and lottery picks. The fact is, making small changes every year hasn’t worked and if we keep going down this path, Brandon will leave for nothing, too.

I’m not so worried about relocation. Charlotte would move before the Bucks because they are losing a ton of money each year. The Bucks, if they were better, would be fine as far as money goes. Ted, I would much prefer your plan over the current one.

• MatthewSchwendinger says:

@coolexplosion1  @Teddddd  Tedd, you realize Seattle just pushed the papers on a new arena worth almost 300 million right? For the specific purpose of getting an NHL AND NBA team, right? Look it up.

Agreed, right now, I bet someone would give us a first round pick for Ersan. Remember before the season he was even threatening that he was going to stay in Turkey…He DEFINITELY won’t resign with us next year. He wants out. We HAVE to get something for him now instead of getting nothing (Sounds like the Magic’s situation, doesn’t it?)

6. flyingking says:

They are doing the only thing they can: losing. They need their OWN pick to be a top five.
    And they should trade ANYONE who’ll get em another first rounder. Including Jennings and Bogut.
    Oh, and the Bucks need a new arena for their 7,500 fans a game like scott skiles needs a haircut.
    Enjoy. I put em in Seattle year after next. Revenge for us taking the seattle pilots from them for our Brewers.The Bucks  have been too bad and too boring for too long.Next year is so key for them it is unreal. And what is really possible beyond hitting it huge in the draft?