Buck Hits: Playoff forecasting, advanced stats and arena discussion

| November 16, 2012

Category: Buck Hits

I haven’t been this excited about the Milwaukee Bucks in awhile and it’s fun. The team looks good. The division looks weak. Brandon Jennings looks like an all-star. Mike Dunleavy looks like the greatest player of all-time. Larry Sanders discovered pace. Drew Gooden hasn’t played a minute all year. And most importantly, the team looks like they have solid chemistry. Could everything be coming into place? Is this team, like, good? Whatever the case, I’m planning to enjoy this high until the team inevitably losses to New Orleans on Saturday.

Here’s your recap of the past week.

Recap

Bucks 92 vs. Celtics 96 – Recap, Box Score, Highlights

Bucks 105 vs. Sixers 96 – Recap, Box Score, Highlights

Bucks 99 vs. Pacers 85 – Recap, Box Score, Highlights

Coverage

• Last night, Steve von Horn and Frank Madden of Brew Hoop released a podcast discussing the Eastern Conference playoff picture and where the Bucks fit in. Surprisingly, they don’t believe that the Bucks will remain the 2-seed.

Courtesy of Alex Boeder at Bucks.com

• In somewhat Bucks related news, yesterday the Washington Wizards signed former Buck Shaun Livingston. If anyone can help the Wizards rise to mediocrity, it’s probably not Shaun Livingston. But good luck!
  • Gene Mueller of 620 WTMJ wrote an article about why a new arena isn’t only important for the Bucks, but for the city in general. He makes the case that the push for a new arena should be centered on everything but the Bucks. Yikes. I mean, sure, I get that there are people in this city that have a deep-seeded disinterest for the team, and the NBA in general. But the Bucks are the main tenant and any discussion about a new arena that doesn’t also discuss the Bucks is pretty fruitless.
  • In more arena discussion, James Causey of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel believes that a new arena should be paid for by imposing a fast-food tax. Woah-boy. That’s an idea, I guess. But the whole, tax low-income people that eat at fast-food restaurants to pay for an arena that low-income people can’t afford to attend probably won’t go over too well. Also, fair warning, don’t read the comments on this article unless you want to become violently angry.

Tags: , , , , ,

Jon Hartzell is a writer/producer at NBA.com who likes the Bucks.

1. pancake dan says:

good article yung blood

2. Matthew says:

Good article!

I just cant imagine that if a new arena comes to Milwaukee its going to be through some kind of tax…throw any kind of name on it (fast food, etc.). I think they should’ve extended the Miller Park tax personally. I do often wonder though if we get the new arena how much jump will there be in ticket price, etc. It’s nice to go to a Bucks game every once and a while for $11 for the top of the nosebleeds (and honestly, I dont even think those are that bad of seats actually!!!).

3. Ken says:

” Also, fair warning, don’t read the comments on this article unless you want to become violently angry.”
    Jon, this editorial comment belittles us, your readers, and validates an emotional response to a discussion of tax policy. You also hint that violence is a normal part of the equation too. Keep up the good sports writing. Put more thought into your humor or politics.

• Jon Hartzell says:

That line was in regard to comments like,”How about each Bucks player has to donate 10% of his bling worn during a game to a fund for the new arena.” and “Milwaukee has a basketball team?” and “Someone please tell me what’s wrong with the current arena that the Bucks feel they deserve a new one?” and “Let the Bucks leave or bring in a new owner who privately finances the arena with help from the NBA.”

I get upset when people write-off the Bucks and the NBA like it’s some prima donna “thug-lypmics” that doesn’t deserve our attention or respect. That’s why I included my comment at the end of this post. It was not meant in regard to the tax policy discussion also taking place in the comments. I apologize if that meaning had the ability to be misconstrued. I’ll be sure to be more careful in the future.

Thanks for reading!

• Patti says:

Jon pointed us to an article about new arena and his coment was to let us know that he didn’t necessarily agree with the premise of it.
      Tax policy was a small part of the blog comments. Then there was plenty of just baseless nonsense.

I was not offeended by Jon’s comment. I was offended by the blog posts. Can’t help it. I’m a Bucks Fan!

• Ted says:

Ken y u troll?

4. Patti says:

I should have heeded your warning and not read the JS article and comments.

This fan is looking forward to the game tonight. Who will have the break out game? Can’t wait to find out!

Go Bucks

• Matthew says:

Yeah I read some of those comments on the JS…I was APALLED at the lack of compassion (passion) that people for having a professional team in their town. I sickened me. I grew up in Dubuque, Iowa and Iowa has NO professional sports & Milwaukee never felt that far away from us so I turned there. We would’ve killed to have ANY kind of professional sport in our state and that’s why I became a Bucks, Brewers, Packers, (and when I realized I needed to go to college) a Badgers fan. For the record, I’ve never been a Hawkeye fan…before anyone tears into me…

• Matthew says:

Yeah I read some of those comments on the JS…I was APPALLED at the lack of compassion (passion) that people for having a professional team in their town. I sickened me. I grew up in Dubuque, Iowa and Iowa has NO professional sports & Milwaukee never felt that far away from us so I turned there. We would’ve killed to have ANY kind of professional sport in our state and that’s why I became a Bucks, Brewers, Packers, (and when I realized I needed to go to college) a Badgers fan. For the record, I’ve never been a Hawkeye fan…before anyone tears into me…

5. Matthew says:

^^Whoops! I dont know why that posted twice! I must’ve gotten click-happy.

6. Matt says:

Just had to say love the Drew Gooden comment, as long as he stays on that bench our probability of getting a win skyrockets.