Bucksketbeautiful Basketball: Bucks 105 Sixers 96

| November 12, 2012

Category: Recaps

Milwaukee Bucks 105 FinalRecap | Box Score 96 Philadelphia 76ers
Ersan Ilyasova, SF 18 MIN | 1-5 FG | 0-0 FT | 7 REB | 2 AST | 2 PTS | -1Ilyasova continues to be dreadful. The form on his shot has been inconsistent. He’s often unsure if he should even take the shot.
Tobias Harris, SF 18 MIN | 4-5 FG | 2-2 FT | 2 REB | 2 AST | 10 PTS | +4Decent offensive game, but it’s time to start looking at how much Harris’s burgeoning offense is being offset by his generally poor defense. Several of Jason Richardson’s open shots were due to Harris being late on rotations. He doesn’t know where he needs to be on defense.
Monta Ellis, PG 38 MIN | 8-20 FG | 1-1 FT | 5 REB | 7 AST | 18 PTS | +17If you’re going to miss the majority of your shots, then at least hang onto the ball. Ellis had six turnovers. I can only assume if he hadn’t turned it over those possessions, then he’d have six more field goal attempts.
Brandon Jennings, PG 38 MIN | 12-21 FG | 5-5 FT | 5 REB | 8 AST | 33 PTS | +25Jennings was the full package today – racking up stats in every category. Jennings had 33 points on 21 shots. That’s good. More importantly, Jennings had one turnover. He was the reliable steady hand as the rest of the Bucks wilted against the Sixers pressure defense with a total of 23 turnovers.
Ekpe Udoh, PF 21 MIN | 2-5 FG | 3-3 FT | 5 REB | 0 AST | 7 PTS | +1Udoh more than doubled his season rebound total today – bringing it up to 9 for the season!
Marquis Daniels, SG 25 MIN | 2-7 FG | 2-2 FT | 3 REB | 1 AST | 6 PTS | +5Daniels looks uncomfortable when he’s dribbling the ball, but he still got heavy 4th quarter use. That’s a strong indictment of Harris and Dunleavy’s defense.

Two Things We Saw

1. Every time I was about to curse Ellis or Jennings shot selection, Nick Young would do something completely outrageous and unexpected. Basically, it was a vintage Nick Young game.
  2. Jrue Holiday got an extension. Jennings didn’t. This isn’t an attempt to disparage either. Holiday had a great game and looked very smooth. It’s just interesting that Jennings played with a swagger and focus against Holiday that he hasn’t shown recently.

Tags: , , , ,

Ian Segovia has been watching the Milwaukee Bucks for several years and has been writing for about as long. Those are all his qualifications.

1. Jake says:

give ersan a few days off to work on his shot again, re-activate gooden.

• ThisIsntUnicef says:

I like this idea. Gooden has some ability and he’s definitely not afraid to take an open shot. Obviously, long term, this isn’t a solution. It would, however, give Ersan some time to get his poop together.

2. nkt says:

Ellis at C- is unfair to his overall contribution to the game. He was absolutely dominant in the 1st half. The Sixers had no way to stop his dribble penetration. He did force things in the second half and committed a few bad turnovers, but he also drew double teams, which allowed other Bucks to get open. Also, a solid defensive effort on Philly’s cast of longer SGs. Despite his six turnovers, he was key to the victory tonight.

3. Ted says:

Loved the pace for this game, got a bit out of control at times, oddly it was when Beno was on the court and he is usually very safe with the ball. But in that 1st quarter watching Brandon and Monta run and run and run was the kind of Bucks basketball I was expecting night in and night out this year. Those 2 have motors that do not stop and the Bucks have enough depth at all of the other positions where I believe that this should occur much more frequently (minus the turnovers)

4. Derek says:

Udoh actually had 10 rebounds coming into tonight’s game. Not sure if you were being facetious? Regardless, good work. I always enjoy reading your input after games. Keep it up and let’s hope the Bucks do as well!

5. bricks says:

There has been a sad theme this year… A shitload of turnovers and Ersan performing worse than our other 50 F’s. I agree with the above idea about giving Ersan a game off. I could use some Gooden in my life for a game.

The good news is If Ellis and Jennings combine to go 20-41, 6 steals, 15 assists, 51 PTS and 7 turnovers nightly the Bucks will be hard to stop. It was great to see Jennings bounce back after the 1-10 performance.

• sillybilly says:

“The good news is If Ellis and Jennings combine to go 20-41, 6 steals, 15 assists, 51 PTS and 7 turnovers nightly the Bucks will be hard to stop”.

Haha yea I wouldn’t count on it….

6. Matthew says:

I agree with nkt (above); C- is really harsh for Ellis. Don’t take offense Ian, I think you’re a great analyst, but if we’re going to blame it on turnovers I assume Sanders is getting a C- too? Defensively I think he’s buying into the Skiles system…which is scary, it takes a certain type of player do fit that mold (looking at you Dalembert, Harris,). We know what we were getting with Ellis too…about 50% FGs, decent D (though I think its a little more than decent so far this year), and clutch.

Something else that has really stuck with me about Ellis is what he said during the Media Day interview. If he has to make the extra pass or cut to create offense instead of shoot…he said he’d do that. He said that him & Brandon would help each other out & work/practice hard together (i.e. making this backcourt work) & so far it has!!! Lastly, and this is still philosophical….Jim Paschke asked him “What will keep you in Milwaukee after this season?” He answered, “A playoff run.” We look like a playoff team right now. And more than anything…so far…Ellis is keeping his promises…and thats @#!#ing awesome.

Agreed?

• Matthew says:

Just to clarify, I would give him a B-. Everyone had problems with turnovers.

• Charles says:

Man, if Ellis made 50% of his FGs and played decent defense he would be a great player. Unfortunately neither of those are the case. Ellis hasn’t even shot 45% from the field since 08-09 and he has a below average defensive rating.

So far this year he is shooting the worst he has in his entire career, under 40%, also a career high in turnovers. But it is a small sample with only 6 of 82 games played. If Ellis doesn’t pick up his game severely I think that is what will keep him out of Milwaukee next year.

Just making the playoffs isn’t a good reason to extend a guy for a ton of money, he’s making 11 mil this year, if he isn’t performing. Also let’s hope they don’t make the Salmons contract year mistake again.

• sillybilly says:

Totally agree Charles, apparently @Matthew didn’t see our two Losses in which the Jennings – Ellis backcourt was totally inept. Both these guys are inconsistent in making shots and creating offense, and both are mediocre defenders at best. Point Guards aren’t expected to shoot well every game, but the good ones can consistenly create opportunities for their teammates and defend well.

• Matthew says:

Yeah….must mean that in the 4 wins that the backcourt was not inept. Brandon is averaging 8.5 assists a game so yeah I think that counts as creating opportunities. If Ellis is shooting the worst in his career and we’re 4-1, can you imagine what we’ll be like when he turns it on?!?!

Grizzlies Loss:

Jennings = 19 points, 5 assists, 4 steals, only 2 turnovers.
          Ellis = 15 points, 7 assists, 2 steals, 1 block, 0 turnovers.

Celtics Loss:

Ellis = 32 points, 8 assists, 2 steals, 1 turnover
          Jennings = 4 points, 5 assists, 2 steals, 4 turnovers (I’ll concede here with Jennings)

Hmmm….. totally inept seems wrong terminology here…maybe you meant pretty good…

Sorry, sometimes I forget we’re all fans here…

• Patti says:

I always find it interesting to look at the box score after a game and realize that my emotions can change my perception of a game. It’s exciting to watch a guy go off for 30 pts because of the difficulty in NBA.

That one turnover might stick in my craw, but the reality is if you don’t make a mistake, then you’re not trying hard enough.

• sillybilly says:

Yea if only Ellis made 50% of his shots, then we’d be in pretty good shape. He had some really bad unforced turnovers and deserves no better than a C.Dunleavy and Beno were throwing the ball away also, this game shouldn’t even have been close. These guys are supposed to be professional players, too many careless passes for how much they are being paid.

• Matthew says:

i feel like you guys are crucifying him at this point. He scored 24 points. I agree we should’ve won by more, but come on…he did scored 18 points, Brandon had 33…51 points of 105…totally inept.

7. Patti says:

Do my eyes deceive me? Do I see calls to put Gooden in? I like Drew, but he started the season shooting worse than Ersan. While I believe in sitting a guy and letting the hot hand play, sitting Ersan to think about things doesn’t seem like a good strategy in this case. That may improve a lack of effort, but I don’t think that’s Ersan’s problem. Hoping he finds his shot and never looks back.

Ellis started cold but he seems to be finding his groove too. If he and BJ take turns finding the guy that can score on any given night, then I am fine with that. As long as this team keeps improving their play off of each other, we are going to be just fine…trust me?

• Matthew says:

I agree. Sitting him seems like punishment for not having confidence…its the coaches job to work with him on that; set him up with Moncrief he’ll give him some!