Bad or not, they still beat the Bucks: Lakers 104 – Bucks 88

| January 16, 2013

Category: Recaps

Dwight had all the dunks on Tuesday. (AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill)

Milwaukee Bucks 88 Final
Recap | Box Score
104 Los Angeles Lakers
Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, PF 25 MIN | 3-10 FG | 2-2 FT | 5 REB | 0 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 0 TO | 8 PTS | -21

You could almost feel the Lakers saying, “Hey, if Luc Mbah a Moute beats us offensively, we’ll live with ourselves.” Milwaukee went to him a few times in the post and found him a few times for jumpers in the third quarter and he was unable to do much to expose the Lakers matchup of Steve Nash on him defensively. Only five of his shots were near the rim – that’s not an ideal Luc offensive night.

Larry Sanders, C 24 MIN | 3-7 FG | 0-0 FT | 11 REB | 2 AST | 1 STL | 3 BLK | 0 TO | 6 PTS | -1

It was strange to see Sanders play so little despite largely avoiding the crippling foul trouble that historically keeps his minutes down. But here we are. In Jim Boylan’s defense, Sanders had nothing for Dwight Howard for most of the night, not because he couldn’t hold him int he post, but because he kept losing him out there.

Monta Ellis, PG 31 MIN | 6-16 FG | 3-9 FT | 6 REB | 4 AST | 1 STL | 0 BLK | 3 TO | 17 PTS | -8

Eight threes, huh? He isn’t a very good 3-point shooter, but everyone would probably rather see him shoot a three than a long two. Monta’s biggest issue Tuesday was his rough showing from the free throw line.It’s encouraging to see him attempt nine, but missing six of those is a bummer. With Jennings sweated so badly, someone had to do something and he wasn’t a bad kind of aggressive.

Brandon Jennings, PG 29 MIN | 4-14 FG | 3-3 FT | 1 REB | 1 AST | 1 STL | 0 BLK | 2 TO | 12 PTS | -22Kobe Bryant was pretty aggressively hounding Jennings for a good portion of the evening. He was on him full court, denying him the ball and really jabbing at him whenever he was able to grab it. Come Mlwaukee’s disastrous fourth quarter, Jennings was in full force mode on two of his three shots, jacking as soon as he saw a little bit of open space and missing terribly. When he’s handing out just one assist, you know Milwaukee’s offense isn’t operating.
John Henson, PF 17 MIN | 2-8 FG | 1-2 FT | 5 REB | 0 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 0 TO | 5 PTS | -6

Nearly every time he was matched up with Dwight Howard it resulted in a dunk. He was baptized Tuesday night.

Samuel Dalembert, C 12 MIN | 3-4 FG | 1-2 FT | 6 REB | 0 AST | 0 STL | 0 BLK | 1 TO | 7 PTS | -7

It looks like he’s at least back to a point where he can be trusted when Milwaukee’s facing an obvious post up threat, though he didn’t really defend Howard in the post at all. He had no more success limiting the Lakers big man’s catches around the rim than anyone else, but at least he ran to the rim and finished.

Jim Boylan

A lot of guys getting minutes still, as Boylan still looks like he’s trying to figure out who’s going to be involved and who isn’t going down the stretch. And people are still clamoring for more Tobias Harris. I do not envy this job.

Three Things We Saw

1. Milwaukee was down just six points entering the fourth quarter. Then things got messy. The Lakers tightened up a bit more defensively and the Bucks were unable to make the few open shots they got. Milwaukee was 6-for-25 in the fourth quarter. The Lakers were a very good, but not unstoppable, 11-for-21. Kobe and Dwight combined for 16 of their 62 as the bad guys pulled away.
  2. Like Greg Monroe before him, Howard had his way inside with the Bucks. It wasn’t so much his post-ups that did the Bucks in though, it was more cuts and rolls to the rim that the Bucks struggled to defend. He’s so wide and strong, once he’s up in the air grabbing a lob or sealing a guy off when rolling, it’s almost impossible to disrupt him. Not that the Bucks were in position to do so very often.
  3. Too many missed opportunities in general for the Bucks against a talented, if underperforming, team like the Lakers. 13-for-22 at the free throw line and 7-for-28 from behind the arc. Jennings and Ellis really only had about five good looks from three, despite their 15 attempts, so that goes quite a ways in explaining Milwaukee’s poor shooting from deep.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

1. Matthew says:

To defend John Henson a little, it’s Dwight Howard… For any rookie like Henson going up against huge city, huge superstars line-up, it’s going to be a surreal.

I didn’t look at who was in or out for the Lakers because with or without Gasol, or Blake, or even Howard, it’s the Lakers. They’re good. They’ll always be in the playoffs, etc. So I wish I could say I didn’t see something like this coming with the team we have, but I would’ve been more surprised if all the planets perfectly aligned and the Bucks AND Badgers pulled off upsets!

…It sure would be nice to break that epic losing streak we have in Phoenix…

• Matthew says:

Just add to the first thought, if Henson, or any other Buck stood in Dwight’s way of dunking it’d be called a foul…sorry, but I’ve always believed the NBA treats teams like the Lakers, Knicks, Bulls, Heat, etc. nicely when it comes to calls. Prime example: Sanders, Lawrence. 4 personal fouls, 24 minutes.

2. sp says:

henson should never be a backup center considering his size.

as far a jennings with only one assist, the guy was getting raped by kobe ane he unselfishly gave the ball up or blew past kobe and scored or set guys up for a wide open shot (that they missed) or dropped it off down low (where they dropped the ball 3 times).

• Sillybilly says:

I dont think you were watching the same game. Kobe was guarding Beno when he was in the game and he somehow managed to have 7 assists in fewer minutes.

Brandon is capable of being a distributor but this season he’s doing a pretty lousy job of it and is not shooting efficiently either. Talented young player but lets hope that talent doesn’t get in the way of necessary changes and improvements that need to take place in his game.

• Bizzucks says:

To quote one Sanders, Lawrence: “Potential is a dangerous word”. Jennings has “potential” every night. I think “consistency” is THE one word everyone is searching for this season. THE one thing they are having the most trouble with.

I really, really want to know why Tobias Harris
    isn’t playing 16-30 minutes per game. Is he a
    horrible teammate, does he refuse play defense or
    go for rebounds, or what? I would like to know
    why he doesn’t deserve some kind of chance,
    especially when Udoh, Mbah a Moute and Ilyasova
    have been so mediocre. I would hate to discourage
    a potential star unless there is some compelling reason
    for him to patiently atrophy on the bench until he
    gets a chance at some indefinite point in the future.
    Frustrating!

• Matthew says:

I think Harris, in the NBA, is a small forward. So who does he take minutes from?? Mike? Luc? the occasion good defense of Marquis? I think Tobias is truly in a hard place right now…there’s just no where for him.. in a way, I think he should join Doron in Fort Wayne unless someone gets hurt. That would at least give him a chance to play…

I appreciate the reply from Matthew.
        I like Luc, but after all these years
        his offense is still so very shaky.
        With the Bucks playing so inconsistently
        and with such mediocrity, I think they
        should give Tobias an opportunity, somehow,
        someway. I’m talking 16-30 minutes.
        It seems like Mike has been great, but does
        he really play tough defense and crash the
        boards, either? I am really concerned that Tobias
        is going to get discouraged — and for what,
        a possible eighth seed in the playoffs? Again,
        if Tobias doesn’t play well with others or just
        isn’t that good, or whatever, just tell us; but
        otherwise give him a chance, even knowing he won’t
        be perfect. Who on the Bucks is?
        Thanks for letting me vent.

• Patti says:

“if Tobias doesn’t play well with others or just
          isn’t that good, or whatever, just tell us”

We’ve been trying to tell you nicely. We like Harris and he’s still on the team getting coaching & practice, but he needs just a little bit more of it before he gets 16-30 minutes at SF

Larry suddenly had an epiphany and is starting. Harris will have the same opportunity…

but I’m still not convinced. I’d
            need more specifics for why Harris
            isn’t ready, and why the Bucks couldn’t
            spare at least 16 minutes a game for him.
            I do appreciate your thoughts.

4. Reed says:

When was the last time the Bucks wore green?? Love the reds but seems like the green is the alt now haha

5. Ted says:

Not sure who makes the call on the jerseys but whoever it is must be desperate to sell em’ if they’re bustin out the alternates all the time, I cant wait for the purple throwbacks :)

6. I’ve been browsing online more than three hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It can be pretty worth enough for me personally. For my part, if all site owners and bloggers made good content since you did, the web has to be many more useful than ever before.