Starting tonight the Milwaukee Bucks will wear retro, at the time horrible, now kind of fun, if only for a month, awkward green, half white lettered-half purple lettered, deer that’s probably too big logoed, jerseys.
That’s a lot of commas.
But special times call for special measures, and these are special times indeed. Number 13, which was once the property of Glenn Robinson and now will be Ekpe Udoh’s this month. It’s hard to think of two players that are more different, so it’ll be fun to watch Udoh run around in Dog’s jersey doing totally different stuff.
Milwaukee will give away a bobblehead on February 23 of Monta Ellis. He will not be in the throwback jersey. But in March, you’ll be able to get your very own Brandon Jennings throwback jersey bobblehead. March 24. Calender marked.
A few fun facts related to the jerseys:
- They debuted in 1995-96 and were used through the 1997-98 season.
- Milwaukee’s leaders over that stretch: Points/PPG: Robinson (4657/21.4). FG%: Ervin Johnson (54%!). Rebounds: Vin Baker (1612).
- Johnson, who I previously thought was the ideal scenario for Udoh and now realize was probably way better than old Ekpe will ever be, also led the team over this stretch with two blocks per game. HE WAS THE DEFENSE.
- Notable Bucks to wear the jersey: Robinson, Ray Allen, Armen Gilliam, Baker, Johnson, Terrell Brandon, Tyrone Hill, Terry Cummings and Ricky Pierce, who returned to Milwaukee to finish his career in 97-98.
- Not to notable Bucks who wore the jersey: Randolph Keys, Tim Breaux, David Wood, Benoit Benjamin and Litterial Green. (Note: I don’t know that these guys all wore the jersey, Green only played 21 games for Milwaukee … BUT HE COULD HAVE WORN IT!)
And finally, here is the greatest photo ever taken, of a player who also wore the jersey: