Now looking to make trades: The Milwaukee Bucks

| February 6, 2013

Category: Trade Rumors

Oh the wishes and dreams of many have never seemed so within reach.

According to Chad Ford, the Milwaukee Bucks are among those most active trade seekers in the NBA.

From Chad Ford’s chat on ESPN.com today. (H/T Preston Schmitt on the capture)

Sure, anyone COULD be traded. We’ve pretty much seen it all in Milwaukee. But it takes two teams to complete a trade. The team that wants to rid itself of a player and the team that wants to acquire is willing to accept that player. So that leaves us asking ourselves this:

Brandon Jennings seems least likely to be crossing over for another team this season. (Photo by Garrett W. Ellwood/NBAE via Getty Images)

Which Bucks players are other teams most likely to be willing to accept?

Samuel Dalembert

Dalembert’s availability should come as no surprise. Milwaukee’s semi-prized off season acquisition has done little more than collect dust on the bench as a Buck and a contract that expires at season’s end. He’s been useful when he’s played recently though, so it’s possible the market has expanded beyond “nothing” for him of late. Yesterday’s crazy 35-point 12-rebound game in just 27 minutes certainly couldn’t have hurt.  He’s a serviceable center with a reputation as a shot-blocker and rebounder if nothing else. The expiring contract combined with that seems to have him in the lead for Buck Most Likely To Be Dealt.

How Likely Is It He’ll Be Traded?: Most Likely

Monta Ellis

Ellis is having the worst season of his career and the oldest season of his career. Of course, correlation doesn’t mean causation. But it could mean caution. Ellis can opt out at the end of the season and most indications are that he will. The best and worst thing about Ellis is that he seems to think he’s a superstar, despite a lack of any reputable data that would back that claim. That’s what leads me to believe he’ll opt out and look for a richer, longer deal. He’s due $11 million next season. Think of this as the Richard Jefferson Situation all over again. He was the craziest guy, until he was the smartest guy. That could be Ellis this summer.

If Ellis were willing to take a smaller role on a better team, I get the feeling someone might court him in the way teams courted Lou Williams. But Ellis seems very reluctant to take that role, even on a great team. It’s easy to get the sense he thinks he could start and be a 35 minute guy on any team in the league. But who’s paying Lou Williams $11 million a year? Not the Hawks. They’re paying him between five and five and a half million annually for the next three.

Last year the market for Ellis was an injured player and a guy who was traded again moments after he arrived to his new team. I’m not sure it’s going to be much better right now and the Bucks want to make the playoffs. It seems unlikely they’ll get a playoff caliber player back for him.

How Likely Is It He’ll Be Traded?: Second Least Likely

Beno Udrih

I was surprised to see his name listed above. Milwaukee is painfully thin at both guard spots and Udrih has been a valuable backup one and two. I see him most likely to leave in a larger scenario  not a one for one sort of trade or anything. His $7.3 million contract is expiring, which always makes a player a bit more coveted, but if Milwaukee is serious about the playoffs, Udrih probably helps get them there.

Ultimately, he’s not really apart of the Bucks future and they have two guards that like to play 40 minutes nightly in front of him. So he’s pretty expendable when you look at the big picture.

How Likely Is It He’ll Be Traded?: Second Most Likely

Ersan Ilyasova

He’s enjoyed quite a renaissance since A. He started finding his shot again in December and B. Scott Skiles departed. But Ilyasova is owed nearly $33 million after this season and his contract runs through 2016 at least. He’s pretty good, probably a better fit for a team that’s a little bit closer to contending, but most teams that are really good don’t seem to want to commit that sort of money to a player who’s only pretty good and has such bouts of difficulty with his own confidence.

How Likely Is It He’ll Be Traded?: Third Least Likely

Brandon Jennings

I don’t really see him getting traded. But he’s probably the easiest player to move on the team outside of Dalembert. He’s young, he’ll be a restricted free agent and he’s generally improved every year. He’s full of flaws, but he’s got his talents too. The biggest issue with Jennings will be establishing his worth. He’s probably a third banana type of guy, with a second banana type shot-selection. And I mean second banana if that second banana is Russell Westbrook. But he’s so little and it seems unlikely that he’ll suddenly start finishing at the rim with great regularity. But they might have said that about Steve Nash at some point.

It’s just so easy to go back and forth on Jennings. I suppose that’s what makes him such a divisive player in Milwaukee and what ultimately defines him as a level or two below true stars. It’s so hard to see him blossoming into some kind of star though. He’s never really been more than an average passer and streaky shooter. His shot-selection is positively average and he simply isn’t a good finisher. Is that guy with more than $40 million?

Maybe. It’s a tough decision someone is going to have to make at some point, whether it’s the Bucks or another team.

But I think the Bucks are the ones who probably end up deciding.

How Likely Is It He’ll Be Traded?: Least Likely

Tags: , , , ,

1. scott46 says:

The key to Milwaukee Bucks success is aguireing a legitamite power forward, without this element in Milwaukee arsenal, they will surely come up short in their immediate goals…

2. Justin says:

I don’t get why Udrih would complain about his role.. it is a perfect role for him, and one at which he excels

let’s just state that he is 30 years old and not going to be a starter on any team that isn’t completely devoid at the position.. that ship has sailed.. he got his opportunity to be a full time starter.. let’s examine

stats: 234 career starts, 13.4 ppg, 5.1 apg.. these are not All-star figures.. anyways I don’t want him to go anywhere no matter what his contract situation is

But I don’t worry as much about Monta opting out(that would be a relief in a way) as I do about who replaces him, if anybody

• Sillybilly says:

Why couldn’t Udrih start? There are many ways to be a good pg in the League without elite athleticism. He’s a damn good shooter, a pretty good passer, and decent on defense. I don’t see any reason that he couldn’t start and be very effective on a team with legitimate scorers to distribute to.

Truth be told the bucks would probably be better off if he started over Ellis.

And that is why Udrih complains about his role.

• Zach says:

I completely agree and I know we aren’t the minority on this topic. Ellis is USELESS. ballpark figure: 60% of the shots he takes are shots that shouldn’t even be thought about. He thinks he’s a star and he is the only one who thinks that. Udrih takes smart shots and rarely tries to force anything. I would like to see him play more

• Jon says:

Udrih doesn’t complain – all players want to be on the court as contributors and their agents all want max money. Beno is a good part that we should keep along with Ersan, Dalembert, Henson, & Dunleavy. Sanders, Jennings, Ellis, Luc Richard, Daniels, Udoh, Pryzbilla Harris & Lamb are all trade candidates for us to get better. Target players, Al Jefferson, Josh Smith, Ryan Anderson, Eric Bledsoe, Chandler Parsons, Kevin Love, & Damian Lillard would be players I would target along with possibly Aaron Aflalo or J.J. Reddick. On the cheap maybe J.J. Hickson who did I forget?

3. Johnny says:

This is what I have been hoping for all season. Let’s part ways with these guys that just cant seem to be any better than average. It is obvious that we have reached our ceiling with all of them. Let’s ship em out and build around our young talent. None of the guys on the aforementioned list are worth the money, not even Jennings. Their inconsistency is maddening and I can’t bear to watch Jennings or Ellis miss another lay-up. Let’s get some young guys who are hungry and want to play and have the potential to grow. I think the guys on this list have peaked. It’ll be interesting to see what happens in the coming weeks. Looking forward to more articles.

This is pretty much the way I feel. I’m
      excited about giving Henson and Harris
      at least 20 minutes per game and continuing
      to enjoy the rise of Sanders. We need a
      guard who is a better ballhandler and floor
      leader in crunch time. Maybe Jennings could
      star primarily as a two guard.

• Sillybilly says:

Jennings as a sparkplug 6th-man 2guard would be great. That role would fit him much better than pg.

4. Ted says:

I dont think the Bucks are going to be able to find a trade this year. In fact I think with Gasol now injured the NBA trade deadline is going to be very boring this year

5. Ryan says:

Drew Gooden?

6. rowe499 says:

Why not trade Dalambert and Luc and Monta for a legitimate starting 3 and a servicable 2?

Note to public: Luc is a backup player with good defensive skills. The entire league now understands that Monta can’t shoot consistantly from outside 12 feet and Luc outside 6.

Resign Udrih to a 3 year approx. 15 mill. deal. He won’t get anything better anywhere else.

Keep Jennings until he realizes nobody else is going to offer him 10-11 million a year. Then sign him for 9. Just like we did with Ersan.

• Sillybilly says:

Couldn’t agree more on those points, but I think some team will take the risk and offer Jennings a big contract. I just pray we don’t match it because something tells me he isn’t going to get much better than he is now. Who knows, maybe he will make me eat my words.

• Matthew says:

Stupid button…

I completely agree with what you two have said..BUT i betcha there’ll be a team dumb enough to give Brandon 13+ million a season…Hopefully its not the Bucks, because that’s too much… I like the idea of resigning Udrih, but drafting or trading for a true point guard.

7. Sillybilly says:

Trade Ellis for anything that comes down the pike aside from the dead-weight of a bad longterm deal. Keeping him makes no sense, in the past month Ive seen very little out of him that will help us make the playoffs. He is hurting us if anything with his high-volume of shots and terrible shooting percentage. It would be another small backcourt but Beno Udrih (shooting 50% on the season!) would do better for this team than Ellis, I have no doubt in my mind. We could pick up an extra guard with some size somehow.

• dgroll1 says:

I think if we trade Ellis, we package him with Harris gooden and Dalembert for Al jefferson Luke Ridnour G Stemsma and Deriick Williams!!! If D Will doesnt work out we trade him on draft day for a 1st pick then Resign Al Jeff 3 year 30 mil!!! Adding Al Jeff and Luke R would give us a “power” Center and another solid PG/SG!!! Id rotate B Jenn Udrih and Luke at PG/SG Dunleavey and Luc Richard at SF Ersan and Hensen (and Sanders) at PF and Al Jeff ,Udoh (and Sanders at Center!!! Also certain plyers can play other postions!!!!

8. Ted says:

Can anyone think of any reasonable trade partners for the Bucks? Id love to see a deal happen but I just dont see a realistic one right now. Messing around with Trade Machine I cant find a deal that the Bucks can “win” that is feasible.

• Sillybilly says:

I think shipping Monta out for any actual expiring contract could be a win. Everyone is convinced that Monta will opt out at the end of the season, but that decision is really up to his agent and what his market value is come the offseason. What if Monta continues to play poorly and his agent cant get more than 11 mil for him in free agency? What then? The Bucks are stuck with him for 3 more years? Based on how he has played this year it seems like there is some possibility of that happening so I am hoping we can part ways now.

9. wombat says:

Kevin Love is upset and pissed at the T-Wolves. How about Tobias, Ersan, Ellis(expiring) and 2 first round picks for Love? Extend Love on a Max contract and keep Brandon by matching an restricted offer and the team will have a core of Jennings-Love-Larry for the next 5 years.

• Jason says:

Thats a lot to give up for a guy thats been hurt all season. I’m sick of hearing about Tobias having all this potential, and not doing anything though. He might be better suited to play in the D-League for a while so he can get into a flow.

• wombat says:

When Love is healthy he is literally a top 10 player in the league. When would the Bucks have that opportunity again? The last time they had one was maybe Ray Allen and before that Moncrief?

10. psullz says:

Can anyone on here think of a team that has any reason or desire to trade for Monta Ellis?

I keep running trades through the trade machine and coming up with things that look great for us and then having the thought ‘why would they even consider this?’

11. nobel0303 says:

Tobias doesnt get any playing time. We need to clear out that front court it sucks that we have ekpe,and the prince just sucking up minutes from henson and larry. Can we please just get rid of gooden and monta though. Monta is noticably unhappy and is playing poorly as a result. WHY does he think he is a superstar? I hear that Brandon is looking for other teams too though, but thats ok as long as we get someone of value out of the deal. Just venting, please help.

12. bucks1988 says:

What about Jeremy Lamb, Perry Jones, and Perkins for Dalembert and Mbah Moute(a lock down defender for the playoffs, they already have enough offense to make up for it) and a draft pick.

13. bucks1988 says:

Sefolosha and martin will take all the minutes from Lamb especially if the resign Martin which they probably will, and they get out of Perkins deal and can sign or draft a center with their couple of picks

14. Zach says:

The Bucks need a 3 guy. We do not have a wing player that can score consistently. we need that 17 or 18 pts. each night with a few assists and 6 or 7 boards. A guy who can play 35 minutes a night. I’d be interested to see if we could find a decent 3 spot for jennings. Or a combo trade with Sammy and Udrih. If Ellis could have been somewhat decent this year maybe we could have traded him but I think thats out of the question to get anything useful.

15. happyfeethustle says:

Believe the Bucks should consider keeping Udrih….he seems to be the steady hand needed to “right the ship” every night. Mr. Ellis should be traded- I mean really; UNHAPPY…? with the dollar amount he makes for servives provided, he should be ecstatic!! Get something tangible for him now. Just an opinion

16. happyfeethustle says:

Oops… services provided- sorry -clanged one off the rim there

17. Daniel says:

IM THINKING WE SHOULD TRY TO GO AFTER RONDO. AND GIVE THEM B JENNINGS AND SAMMY D…A TRUE PG FOR US IS CRUCIAL FOR LARRY AND OTHERS.AND HES A SUPERSTAR.THIS SHOULD BE TALKED A LOT MORE!!! ITS REASONABLE FOR BOTH SIDES.WE WONT HAVE HIM THIS YEAR OBVIOUSLY BUT THINK OF RONDO AND LARRY SANDERS DUO. AND OF COURSE SHIP AWAY ELLIS.I LUV BRANDON but LIKE A LOT OF OTHERS HE JUST AINT CUTTING IT.THE ONLY THING HES GOOD FOR IS HIS SWAG FOR MILWAUKEE.HE WONT STAY ANYWAYS….ANYBODY THINK THE SAME????

18. Bucks Guru says:

Everyone seems to be questioning our ability to trade Monta, Brandon, Ersan, etc. If I were you I wouldn’t question Hammonds ability to make these deals happen. Are people forgetting that he managed to move the contracts and lack of talent of players like Bobby Simmons, Dan Gadzuric, Charlie Bell, Charlie V, Corey Maggette, Stephan Jackson… Even the often injured Bogut who had been holding our franchise at bay due to his injuries. So making a deal shouldnt really be a problem for the Bucks this year. Now lets get into possible teams that we could make some deals with.

First of all there is a trade rumor already out there that Milwaukee is interested in JJ Reddick of the Magic. Most likely we would trade either Sam D. or Beno and a first round pick for him. (for those of you worried about trading a first round pick read on)
    Doing this move would allow us to take our next step and trade the God Awful Monta Ellis. Who we could possibly get a draft pick for or send him to a team that needs some scoring at guard (Utah, Phoenix, Sacramento, even Indiana)
    If we packaged Monta and either tobias or Mike D. we might be able to get Paul Milsap, or maybe just a draft pick in return.

Next we should move Brandon Jennings. Im sorry but his below 40% career fg% and complete lack of defense does not really yield consistent wins. I think we should trade Brandon to the Suns for Goran Dragic, and Marcin Gortat – to another team, and claiming an asset from the team that receives Gortat.

Finally if we do decide to trade Ersan there are a few teams with known interest. Sending Ersan to Brooklyn for Kris Humphries and Marshan Brooks would make sense.

If everything goes as planned this would be my ideal roster for the Bucks

5) Larry – Epke
    4) Milsap – Humphries – Henson
    3) Luc Richard – someone we get in the trades
    2) JJ redick – Marshan Brooks
    1) Goran Dragic – Beno, someone we get in the trades

Sorry that was so long but I have had a lot of frustration with this team this year. Let me know what you guys think!!

• John Smith says:

I like it all except the Ersan trade. I would rather have Ersan than Humphries and Brooks. Ersan let himself go this offseason prolly cuz of the money. I don’t think he will let that happen again. I think he will bounce back next year.

• Daniel says:

ARE YOU SERIOUS THINKIN TRADING BASICALLY OUR WHOLE STARTING LINEUP BESIDES LARRY!! IS THERE A SUPERSTAR WE GETTIN IN RETURN IN YOUR THEORY?? CAUSE WE WOULD HAVE BASICALLY THE SAME RESULTS WITHOUT A SUPERSTAR.IF WE WOULD TRADE BRANDON .IM THINKIN A SUPERSTAR WE COULD GET IN RETURN.MY THEORY IS THAT WE TRADE B.JENNINGS AND SAMMY D MAYBE A DRAFT PICK/s IF JUST THE TWO PLAYERS ARNT CUTTING IT FOR RAJON RONDO. THEN TURN AROUND AND TURN AROUND AMD TRADE MONTA ELLIS FOR A DRAFT PICK/S .THEN I WAS THINKIN GETTIN A ATHLETIC OFFENSIVE MINDED SF.SEEING HOW THE ONLY GUY WHO WANTS TO DUNK ON OUR TEAM IS LARRY.NOBODY SCARED OF LIL BRANDON NOR MONTA ELLIS.I LIKE DUNLEAVY as backup HE FITS OUR TEAM REAL WELL AND WE FEED OFF HIM A LOT.

RAJON RONDO-NEXT YEAR
      LARRY SANDERS
      ERSAN ILYASOVA
      ATHLETIC SG AND SF
      WHO CAN ACTUALLY MAKE A BALL IN THE HOOP AT A GOOD % IM NOT PICKY.JUST NO GARBAGE PLAYER AND ILL BE HAPPY WITH THIS STARTING LINEUP IN FUTURE.

19. Bucks Guru says:

I like Ersan, but is it really worth holding on to him and his contract if we could pull Milsap? We really need a 4 who can score with his back to the basket and get us some easy buckets. Larry will never be that player and with Ersan and Larry in the front court that basically makes us into a jump shooting team by default. Maybe we could have Henson be the back up to Milsap (who I think has a lot of potential and room to grow) and trade Ersan for some picks or maybe someone like Demar Derozan, or Terrance Ross? Either way the Bucks need to make some serious moves. Monta NEEDS to be traded (theres a reason Golden State went from being an average team to one of the contenders in the Western Conference simply by trading Ellis for someone they havent even used all season) Maybe let Jennings play out the year with a 2 guard that can actually stretch the floor and play defense if we cant get anything promising in return. And Daniel your right, we need a true point guard like Rondo, but do you really think Boston would trade arguably their best player to a team they will most likely face in the playoffs in years to come? I think otherwise, its unrealistic.

So yea, trade everyone on their starting lineup except Larry. Inefficient players like Brandon and Monta might be fun to watch, but bad defense, poor shooting %, poor shot selection, and tons of TO’s will finish us no higher that 7th in the East no matter who else we put on the floor. The time for change is now when we actually have valuable trade chips to move.

• Sillybilly says:

Ersan is playing pretty well and has a lot of potential to improve as a lengthy guy that can shoot. His role-playing, floor-spreading style will become even more valuable if he can play alongside a legitimate scorer or two. Also don’t dismiss Larry’s scoring abilities too quickly. The guy is 24 years old and has only been playing the game of basketball since sophomore year in highschool. He is certainly coordinated enough to do some back to the basket stuff, and has shown a decent jump-shot. I’m pretty sure he will be a serviceable center offensively, and quite possibly he already is but we wouldn’t know it because he NEVER gets the ball in the low post. Henson is already pretty good at scoring in the paint and may himself replace Ilyasova in the starting line-up in a year or two. Milsap for Ilya would be an upgrade in the paint and perhaps overall, but the offensive flow would change and it could have a negative impact. More importantly we would be taking on more salary to extend him at seasons end, probably 2-3 million more than Ersan makes. We already have solid young guys at C and PF who are relatively cheap, so the bucks should instead focus on trades that somehow help them to eventually land a star SG or SF that they really need if they want to win the division (lets start with that).