Woj: Bucks to interview Sampson and McMillan

| May 6, 2013

Category: Coaching

Sampson at a Rockets playoff shootaround with Kevin McHale. (Photo by Layne Murdoch Jr./NBAE via Getty Images)

According to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports, the Milwaukee Bucks will be interviewing Kelvin Sampson and Nate McMillan about the team’s head coaching job this week:

McMillan and Sampson, a Houston Rocketsassistant, are two of Milwaukee general manager John Hammond’s top candidates for the job, league sources said.

The news on Sampson comes as no surprise. Immediately after, and for quite a while before, Jim Boylan was informed he would not return to Milwaukee, Sampson’s name started to pop up as a candidate for the head job in Milwaukee. He was well regarded as an assistant with the Bucks in his three seasons under Scott Skiles before leaving to take the lead assistant job with the Houston Rockets.

Sampson stepped into the head coaching job for the Rockets this past season when Kevin McHale left the team due to health issues and the eventual death of his daughter  Over that stretch, the Rockets went 7-6.

McMillan was out of the NBA last season after six and a half seasons with the Portland Trailblazers. He was an assistant on the 2006, 2008 and 2012 US Men’s National Team under Mike Krzyzewski. Before those jobs, McMillan was the head coach of the Seattle Sonics for five seasons. His teams have only twice finished higher than 27 in the league in pace. His slow it down style appears to translate into successful defenses, but his points per game allowed really more accurately reflects pace than actual defensive performance. McMillan has never coached a team that’s finished in the top 10 in defensive rating.

McMillan has already interviewed for the Detroit Pistons vacancy. While Sampson is thought to be a candidate for a number of jobs, there have been no reports of him interviewing elsewhere yet, though the Charlotte Bobcats have asked the Rockets for permission to speak with him.

Tags: , ,

1. OB says:

Sloan, Van Gundy, Sampson. If it isn’t one of those guys, the Bucks might as well give a random up and coming coach a shot while they struggling with franchise direction.

2. kevin says:

The Bucks should also interview Brian Shaw. I think he’d be a good coach. If the Bucks don’t get Stan Van Gundy, Kelvin Sampson, or Brian Shaw, I would be pretty disappointed. Honestly, I think Sampson or SVG is our best bet

3. Sillybilly says:

If I try to access this site through google search I can only access an outdated version of the site with the last update being like game 2 against the heat. Whats up with that?

I only navigated here through a link in twitter. Just thought you guys might like to know unless you are trying to ditch all prior and non-twitter using fans of the site. Not really sure whats going on though.

• Bizzucks says:

I was having the same trouble about a week ago, with the same story about game 2 also coming up all the time as the lead. I had to go through ESPN’s Milwaukee Bucks page to get to the newer articles. But so far this week I haven’t had the issue. I tried all the usual deletions of cookies and history, nothing really worked. Didn’t matter if I was at work or at home on a tablet. Same crap.

4. Justin says:

do not like Sampson at all.. not as a coach or a man.. Brian Shaw is an interesting idea.. don’t see him as defensive minded, but this team needs a coach the players but into.. I think SVG is a terrific coach, but it doesn’t seem like players really support him

5. bucks1988 says:

Sloan would be my first and only priority. Look how many times he took a small market team to the playoffs in a row. Plus he’s stated he would prefer to go to a small market team. The other coaches have too many flaws.

I’d like to know why Kelvin Sampson is considered
    a top prospect for our head-coaching position.
    What happened with him at the University of Indiana?
    Why did he constantly yell at Jon Hartzell when Jon
    was a ball boy for the Bucks? (according to Jon’s
    own author profile)

Sampson might be really good, but I’d like to know why.