Bucks Select Giannis Antetokounmpo with the #15 Pick

| June 27, 2013

Category: Draft Talk

giannis-antetokounmpo-spurstalk-com

The Milwaukee Bucks selected Giannis Antetokounmpo with the 15th pick of the first round of the NBA draft.

This was not a pick that’s going to be stashed in the first round. Antetokounmpo fully intends to be in the NBA next season.

The problem is that Antetokounmpo looks like he is a few years away from being an NBA player. Antetokounmpo hasn’t been challenged during his short playing career. Antetokounmpo has played in the under-19 Greek league and the second division of the Greek league. Neither of these leagues have been the truest test of Antetokounmpo’s size and athleticism.

But that’s the thing about Antetokounmpo: hes nothing, but size and athleticism. He’s a 6’9″ power forward with arms for days (7’2″ wingspan!) and great athleticism.

Antetokounmpo is comfortable handling the ball and if he can develop his defense and shooting, he projects to be similar to Luol Deng or Nicolas Batum. In other words, he would be a great wing defender to compliment Larry Sanders.

I had the same reaction to Antetokounmpo that I had when the Bucks picked Tobias Harris: “Hmm, okay, let’s see where this goes.” And now I spend most of my days crying and drinking in a corner while cursing fate for removing Harris from my life. Hammond has had three good picks in a row. Let’s see where this goes.

Tags: ,

Ian Segovia has been watching the Milwaukee Bucks for several years and has been writing for about as long. Those are all his qualifications.

1. apdamico says:

This article states he will not go back to Spain, but the following states he’s already signed to play next season:

The best-kept secret in NBA scouting circles in a secret no more.

Meet Giannis Antetokoumpo, a 6-10 point guard who already has signed to play professionally next season for Zaragoza in Spain.

Yes, a 6-10 point guard, a Greek freak of Nigerian heritage who could end up being a first-round draft pick after putting on quite a show in the Greek national junior tournament attended by Bryan Colangelo of the Toronto Raptors and Masai Ujiri of the Denver Nuggets.

2. bucks1988 says:

Love this pick! Maybe it was a good thing to trade away Harris. Harris is get wins for the magic, thus decreasing their chances of getting wiggins. Maybe the Bucks had this in mind all along. Wiggins>Harris

This was a ridiculously horrible pick that should get everyone in the front office of the Bucks fired tomorrow. This really makes me sick, and it kinda bothers me that I care so much about a draft pick for the Bucks that I could get sick about it. Not since a certain second-year forward (and 15th-overall pick) was traded in February have I been so disgusted with the Bucks.
    Even if somehow this obscure and untested basketball apprentice turns out to be a good player, by that time he’ll be a free agent and probably leave the Bucks for just about anywhere else — especially given that the front office of this team has almost no chance of ever fielding a good team that anyone would want to play for long-term.
    If someone wanted to sabotage this team, they couldn’t have done a much better job over the last few months. Disgraceful!

• bucks1988 says:

it will be okay my friend. If he does develop they will have his bird rights so they could offer him more than anyone else. At 15th pick, in a weak draft, you wouldn’t get much more than a bench player. This kid at least has starter potential at #15, which at 15 its a crap shoot anyways. You have to take chances that low in the draft

• apdamico says:

Better to reach for the stars in a weak draft. The kid is boom or bust, but just imagine our future front court with Sanders, Henson and Antetokounmpo. That will be the best block party in the NBA!

• Steve says:

The worst that can happen is that he plays absolutely terrible and the Bucks get a lottery pick. The best is he is a sleeper All-Star (and we still will not make the playoffs anyways). Win-win.

4. Brian says:

The more I think about this pick, the more I like it. This guy is young, athletic and has some skill. He’s a pretty good ball handler and passer which I think is how he can help the team immediately. He is also athletic and can dunk so he can at least provide energy plays, and has jump shot that I think he can develop. He might not be that good for a couple of years, but some of his skill-set leads me to believe he’ll at least have a moderate level of success. While he takes time to develop, the Bucks can build through the draft.

5. Matthew says:

I dont know what to think about this pick. It sounded like they were SUPER high on Larkin and Schroeder who were BOTH there when they had the pick. I haven’t really had time to think about it much, but I was REALLY shocked learning that Larkin and Schroeder were both there and we took this guy…

6. steve says:

he is a tall and a long point forward, he has alot of potential and this shows that the bucks are adjusting to the current style of the nba ala lebron and durant, seeing his body type look so similar to durant makes me excited to see him get better in this league

7. Kungfusuperstar says:

Didn’t know anything about him before tonight… but who did? Even the announcers were like well we saw him on youtube lol.

I agree with the pick, he has more upside than anyone taken after him. Sure his floor is really low too but not taking chances like this leaves us at best an 8th seed getting killed by Miami (again… at best). With a guy with potential like this kid and the likelihood of him taking a few years to get there we should get good picks the next year or two as well. Sure rebuilding is hard to watch but at least it’s a direction.

I’m ok with suffering through a year or two of 20-25 wins to have a chance at a competitive team afterwards.

8. dan says:

I agree, better to take a chance on kid with huge potential than take a safe mediocre player. The Bucks have no all-star talent, they need to be creative in getting one.

9. NEZ says:

This was the best pick the Bucks could have made considering A: the state of their franchise/roster, B: the overall talent and how it is viewed in this draft, and C:he is a foreign guy. We are talking about an 18 year old kid whose first time in the states was a week ago. Its all going to be new and challenging for him but I love his attitude already (granted every new draftee says the same). I relate his zapruder film to that of any 18 year old coming out of HS here in the states. For the most part, these high schoolers are all playing against guys their age that just are not very good so they always show out. You cant teach 6’9 and GROWING. This young man will be a great barometer for just how good the new Bucks coaching staff is when it comes to developing talent. The ceiling of a superstar at #15 for the Milwaukee Bucks? Please. Anyday. Great pick.

The fanboys need to accept that the Bucks are not going places any time soon. Build through the draft, bottom out in 2013-14 and have Parker/Wiggins/Gordon/Smart fall right into your laps.

10. Patti #1 says:

A. I’m please that they didn’t draft a 5’11″ guard and …

B. I can’t wait to hear the announcers of other NBA teams try to say

ANTETOUNMPO since most of them still can’t say MBAH A MOUTE!

If draft night was any indication, it’s going to be a fun ride.

GO BUCKS!

11. Tony T. says:

I’m giddy for the Bucks’ potential – 3 years into the future.
    If the Bucks take a pass on being competitive for ’13-14, get a good draft spot for next year’s draft, we should have a dynamite team moving forward. I’m looking at it this way – we’ll need to field a very competitive team in 2-4 years in order to gain local support to build a new arena. Taking a dive this upcoming year, stocking up on young talent that needs a few years to develop would be my preference, rather than staying in “Neutral”. We’ve been middle of the road for the past 10+ years. Forfeit one year in order to amass some young talent and try to be OKC version 2.0