Global domination with Giannis Antetokounmpo
Are we having fun yet?!
The Milwaukee Bucks selected Giannis Antetokounmpo with the 15th pick in last night’s NBA Draft. Antetokounmpo, a 6-9 forward from Nigeria via Greece, is unquestionably the biggest risk in the draft. He’s 18-years-old, has never played at a level of basketball close to the NBA, and his arms are skinnier than John Henson’s.
But did I mention his arms?! He has a 7-3 wingspan, is apparently still growing, and he has natural point guard skills. John Hammond believes he can contribute to the offense right away. However, we will need to wait and see if his presumed inability to instantly adjust to the speed of the NBA places him on the bench for most of the season.
So he has potential, clearly. If his game develops to where it’s passable, his body will allow him to be special. Those arms are paired with hands so big I’m still not sure they’re real and with the right coaching he could be special on defense. There’s a reason he’s called The Greek Freak. It’ll just take a lot of time.
Antetokounmpo’s standing reach (7’3) + Henson’s standing reach (7’5) + Larry Sander‘s standing reach (7’5) = 22 feet and one inch aka nearly half the width of an NBA court.
Can you tell I’m excited? You should be, too! To help you get to my level of PUMPED UP FEELINGS, check out all of this stuff about Antetokounmpo. Get your t-shirt jerseys ready!
- In case you missed it, Jeremy wrote a great article about the Greek Freak pick this morning.
- Earlier this week, The New York Times wrote a feature on Antetokounmpo and his family’s troubled past. It’s a required read.
- At Draft Express, they did their normal player breakdown video:
- And footage from his time on the U20 Greek National team:
- I mentioned his hands:
- Andrew Sharp broke down Antetokounmpo and the other foreign players earlier in the week for Grantland. He compares Antetokounmpo to a Greek Josh Smith. Might as well get the real Smoove, too, now Mr. Kohl! (Just kidding. Please don’t do that. I’m too happy right now.)
- Here’s Antetokounmpo talking with Craig Sager last night. He’s just as surprised as us.
- Jake McCormick at Brew Hoop wrote a good early reaction article with scouting reports last night.
- This interview makes him look even younger than 18. Impressive!
And that’s it for now. More should come later in the day. Enjoy your Fridays. Have fun looking at Antetokounmpo’s hands.