Category: Injury Report
According to his own website, Carlos Delfino will miss the entire 2013-14 season due to an unhealed foot fracture.
Delfino will now need a new procedure to tend to the break, after which he will require another four- to six-month recuperation period.
Delfino underwent the original surgery in May, and the Bucks signed him two months later. At the time of the surgery, it was thought that the recovery would last four to six months, so it was expected all along that he would miss the start of training camp. When training camp opened, though, Delfino surprised most in attendance by showing up in a walking boot. He said the boot was needed after a recent setback in his rehabilitation.
Delfino suffered the original injury as a member of the Houston Rockets when he tried to play through bone spurs in his foot. In Game 4 of the first-round Rockets/Thunder series, he dunked over Kevin Durant on a fast break but broke his foot in the process.
When the Bucks acquired 11 new players in the offseason, they took a fair number of risks with some of them. Zaza Pachulia was trying to overcome surgery on his Achilles’ tendon that ended his 2012-13 season prematurely. Gary Neal struggled with plantar fasciitis back in February and March, then experienced a flareup in the preseason. Even Caron Butler and Luke Ridnour were risky additions due to their age, though the pair combined to play 160 games last year. Some of those moves may eventually pan out this season. Delfino won’t, but there’s still hope for next season and potentially the season after.
The Bucks had assembled quite a cast of three-point shooters this season, but Delfino’s loss takes away a big slice of that. Injuries to point guards Ridnour and Brandon Knight have also hindered the Bucks in that area to this point in the season.
Delfino signed a two-year deal with a team option for a third year. According to ShamSports.com, the deal will pay Delfino $3.25 million per season annually.
About the Author (Author Profile)Husband. Father. Blogger. Retired mathlete. I covered Larry Sanders' "Three Thumbs Up" game as credentialed media -- and failed to see well enough to witness the thumbing as it happened. On Twitter, I'm anaheimamigos.
Sites That Link to this Post
- Carlos Delfino Injury: Updates on Bucks Guard's Foot Surgery, Likely Return Date | Riden Pine | November 11, 2013
- Daybreak Doppler: Well That Wasn’t Fun | PocketDoppler.com | November 11, 2013
- After setback, Bucks’ Carlos Delfino could miss entire 2013-14 season with foot fracture | The Point Forward - SI.com | November 11, 2013
- Rotations, offense, injuries and pace: Thoughts on the Milwaukee Bucks through five games : Bucksketball – A Better Milwaukee Bucks Blog | November 12, 2013
- Life without Larry ain’t a life worth livin’: Bucks vs. Heat Preview : Bucksketball – A Better Milwaukee Bucks Blog | November 12, 2013